I’m a big fan of encouraging people to try new things when it comes to art, scrapbooking and crafting. It’s never a bad idea to try a new technique or play with a medium that you haven’t worked with before — like watercolors, gesso, etc. When we try new things we grow as artists and we begin to find our own personal style. It’s also a great creative exercise when we are feeling stuck in a rut or bored with what we do. Diving in and trying something different gets those creative juices flowing again and breathes new life into our work! Jessy has some beautiful inspiration for us today that includes gesso and watercolors. Read on to find out exactly how she incorporated these mediums into her layout and find out how to use gesso and watercolor on your own pages as well!
I really enjoy using different artsy mediums on my layout whenever I can. This time, I took some time to play with my Loew Cornell Paint with the intention to create a ‘frame’ on the background. I wanted to use the paint to give a subtle wash onto the busy background on the page.
Let me briefly explain my creative process and how you can put this layout together…
1. First, you will need a 6″x6″ paper to be placed in the middle of your layout.
2. Use a pencil to lightly mark around the paper.
3. Then, use some gesso to paint the sides of your marking. It doesn’t have to be neat lines. The reason to use gesso is because it will help to bring out the actual color of your watercolor paint.
4. Once that is dried, paint your choice of color over the gesso.
5. To finish the layout, add embellishments & splatter some gold mist. The vellum ephemera works beautifully with the rest of the other embellishments on the layout.
TIP > to add dimension to your embellishments, adhere foam dots/tape at the back to create a 3d look.
Here are some close-up shots:
Once again, thank you so much for letting me share today! Hope you will have a good crafting session and be inspired by my scrapbook page! Xoxo Jessy
Happy Monday Friends!
Supplies Used >> Maggie Holmes Confetti Collection / Confetti Hardware / White Gesso / Confetti Ephemera / Confetti Vellum & Acetate Ephemera / Watercolor Paints / Water Brush / Confetti 6×6 Paper Pad / Gold Mist / Confetti Paper: Cloud Nine / Maggie Holmes Open Book Floral Ephemera